The Pan-Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere on Sunday declared the presidential candidate of All Progressive Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has the qualities to succeed Muhammadu Buhari, the incumbent president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The Afenifere had before now been non-committal in given Tinubu their blessing, but after an enlarge meeting held in Akure, Ondo State on Sunday, the group in a communique released says Tinubu is good to be the president of the country.
The roll call of Yoruba leaders presents at the meeting between Tinubu, the APC presidential candidate and leader of Afenifere, Pa Reuben Fasoranti. included Archbishop Ayo Ladigbolu, Professor Isaac Adewole, Oba Olu Falae, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, General Alani Akinrinade, General Olu Bajowa, Mr Sola Iji, Dr Kunle Olajide, Senator Cornelius Adebayo, Bashorun Seinde Arogbofa, Senator Iyiola Omisore, Chief Bisi Akande, Dare Babarinsa, Chief Pius Akinyelure, Deputy Governor of Oyo state, Bayo Lawal, deputy governor of Ondo state, Aiyedatiwa.
Others were Chief Segun Adesegun, representing former Governor Segun Osoba, Senator Tony Adefuye, Senator Dayo Adeyeye, State leaders of Afenifere and many others.
According to the communique signed by Abagun Kole Omololu, National Organising Secretary of Afenifere, the meeting was fully briefed about the aspiration of Tinubu to contest for the Presidency of Nigeria in the forthcoming Elections in February 2023. He even presented his Manifesto to Baba, the Asiwaju of Yorubaland.
“He shared with us his vision of a greater and more prosperous Nigeria where democratic rights, rule of law, justice and fairness will reign supreme. He also gave assurance on steps to be taken to ensure safety and security of Nigerians and their properties.
“Following exhaustive deliberations informed by presentations by various stakeholders, the Afenifere states as follow:
- We affirm that Nigeria as a country must be established on the basis of democracy, true federalism and social justice.
- We affirm that Democracy is the most civilised method of governance because it is based on the fundamental human rights of every citizen to determine how he or she wants to be governed.
- We support the decision of all qualified citizens to exercise their fundamental rights of seeking offices provided by the federal Constitution.
- Having taken cognisance of his commendable antecedents as Lagos State Governor and his demonstrated ability in building physical and human capital, the Yoruba Leaders at today’s meeting are in no doubt that Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu as President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria offers the best opportunity to produce a government of that will usher in a new Era of hope, peace, security, harmony, gainful employment for the multitude, economic development, social and political stability.
- We were also assured us of his commitment to the promotion of true federalism that will give states more control over their affairs.
- Afenifere wishes him success in the pursuit of his vision.
- The Meeting urged other presidential candidates to utilise similar opportunities to articulate their vision,” the communique reads.